- Know the type of AC in the room, some cool the outside air and some recirculate the indoor air.
- According to experts, if you are unable to find a safe place in the room, then it is better not to stay there
Heather murphy Wind is very important for our life, but we never have to work hard to get it. For example, water is necessary, but to drink it has to be filled first, while the air reaches us automatically in an open environment. However, now is not the time when you are relaxed about the wind. Now the world is in the grip of coronavirus and many scientists are believing that the virus can be transmitted in the air inside the house. In addition, a poor ventilation system can also pose a big risk.
Whatever the circumstances, not everyone has the strength and resources to improve their air circulation. However scientists and engineers say that understanding the basics of air flow can also be helpful. Also it can be a good way to stay safe.
Open the windows if there is a dilemma
(Remember the outside air is good.)
- Scientists are investigating whether virus particles roam the room when an infected person talks, breathes in, sings or eats something. Earlier studies suggest that this is a bit difficult to do. However, Scientists and Engineers agree on easy advice. According to him, the more the outside air comes in, the more it will help in removing virus particles from floating in the air inside the room. Apart from this, it is the most reliable and least expensive way to bring outside air inside.
- “If you don't know if the ventilation is right at this place, but you can open the window. I'll do it,” says Shellie Miller, professor of mechanical engineering at Colorado Boulder University. According to aerosol scientist Jose-Luis Jimenez at Colorado Boulder University, the outside air replaces the air inside. He said “The more outside air you have, the weaker the virus will be.”
- The fan can help you vent the air inside the room and bring the air outside. Doctor Jimenez said that if you want to increase the speed of the outside air in the room. Take a box fan and place it on the window, move it outward. The more air goes from one place, the more the air also comes back. This is a fixed volume.
It is important to know what kind of air-conditioner it is
(Some draw outdoor air in, some recirculate indoor air only.)
Nobody is asking you to stop using AC. It helps you a lot in the scorching heat outside and prevents heat stroke. Now if you are spending time with other people in some cold place, then it is important to know about the cold air. There are generally three categories of air-conditioning.
- A unit that cools both indoor and outdoor air.
- A unit that re-circulates only indoor air.
- A unit that relies solely on drawing outside air.
Adjust the air inside and outside
- Centralized air systems commonly found in office buildings fall into the first category. Doctor Jimenez and other building scientists are advising owners of buildings and offices involved in the cooling of the first category to adjust the ratio of the outside air. Although it will be quite expensive.
- Talking about Las Vegas casinos, the people inside here are feeling cold, while the mercury outside is 120 degrees Fahrenheit. It would be more expensive to cool the outside air than to re-circulate the already cold inside air. Doctor Jimenez said that customers' health is also a priority. He told that many people are thinking about this.
- Most windows are set in the front of the unit. Such units are in another category. William Benfleth, a professor of architectural engineering at Penn State's Institute of Energy and the Environment, said the units dump heat from the outside of the room instead of draining the outside air.
- According to Doctor Jimenez, this unit is fine if you are living alone or with people who are not infected. If you are thinking of a dinner party or the child of the house goes out again and again, remember that the virus present in the air can mix in the air. If many people have come to your house, open the windows or better go out.
Not all filters are the same
(A good filter can be as effective as drawing outside air.)
- What to do if your unit is only re-circulating the air inside and you cannot open windows. The filter works under these conditions. Professor Edward O'Nardell at Harvard Medical School says that a good filter can be as effective as drawing outside air. In addition to removing dust, tobacco smoke and chemical, filters also remove viral particles from the air. Some filters are directly placed in AC units and central air systems. MERV and HEPA are two certified types and are more commonly used.
- The rating of MERV filters is determined by how efficiently they remove the particles in a fixed range. Doctor William states that ASHRAE (Professional Society of AC, Heating and Refrigerating Engineers) recommends MERV 13 or above to remove coronavirus. They reported that a HEPA filter is more effective than a high rated MERV filter.
- Many central air systems are designed to apply special filters, but not all can handle more advanced filters. Mechanical engineer Wade H. Conlan says filters with lower ratings can also be helpful. Window units are designed for comfort, not for health. There is also a limit on the filter.
- According to Doctor William, HEPA may be a good option for those who can afford. Some of these are designed for larger spaces.
What if there are no good spots in the room?
(Wear a mask, keep a distance and get out of that place as soon as possible.)
- Andrew Persili, chief of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, says that experts also can't find a low-risk place. This depends on the pattern of airflow and where the aerosols originated. There may be areas in the room that may be more dangerous than elsewhere. It's hard to guess. “
- Apart from this, it is also difficult to find out how many people are enough in one place. After all, one patient is enough to infect everyone.
- According to Doctor Miller, if you have a carbon di oxide detector, you can use the technology previously used to prevent the spread of TB. If the CO2 level is more than a thousand parts per 1 million, it would be wise to reduce the number of people in the room and increase the outside air.