17 minutes ago
- Copy link
Three-time Pulitzer Award winner and regular columnist at The New York Times
The Trump administration has done a huge job by persuading the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to resume normal relations with Israel on condition of Israel giving up occupation of the West Bank. This deal affects every major part of the region as it pro-US, pro-Islamist, pro-Israel conflict and pro-Iran, anti-American, pro-Islamist pro-ceaseless conflict with Israel, all of them fall alone And are left behind.
This is a geopolitical earthquake. To know why this is, you have to understand the deal. Trump's peace plan was created by Jared Kushner. Kushner originally tried for peace between Israel and Palestine, with Israel occupying 30% of the West Bank and Palestinians establishing a state with demilitarization over the remaining 70%. Palestinians deny this. But Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that he intends to implement the occupied part of the plan by 1 July, but he has not agreed to give 70% of the rest to the Palestinians.
This did not materialize because Kushner was getting to hear from Egypt, Jordan and the Gulf Arabs that such a unilateral Israeli occupation would break the deal. Kushner persuaded Trump to block Netanyahu from free will. This was reducing Netanyahu's public support. So Trump, Kushner, Netanyahu and Emirates Prince Mohammed bin Zayed decided to turn the trouble into profit. Itamar Rabinovich, the former ambassador to Washington, says, “He made a condition for the Palestinian state not to be annexed by Israel in exchange for peace with the UAE, instead of Israeli occupation.” It was peace for peace, not peace for land. '
The UAE had been trying to open diplomatic relations with Israel for a long time, but it was only a discussion of stopping the occupation that created a framework where the UAE seemed to get something for the Palestinians in return for normalization with Israel. . In fact, Netanyahu was willing to do everything to please the Israeli right-wing forces, so that they would support him in the corruption case. By adopting this deal, Netanyahu has rejected his ideological allies who were expected to be captured. But now Netanyahu will have to depend on the middle and middle-rightists. Because of this deal, Mahmoud Abbas, who headed the Palestinian Authority, was also deprived of anything, perhaps because of which he came to negotiate. They were deprived of their idea that the Gulf Arabs would normalize with Israel only when the Israeli Palestinian Authority met its preferred state.
The deal will also encourage other Sheikhs from the Gulf, such as Bahrain, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia to follow the emirate's footsteps. They do not want the UAE to overtake their financial capital in connecting Israel's cyber technology, agri-technology and healthcare technology.
The three other winners are: 1) King Abdullah of Jordan. His fear at the moment ended that the Israeli occupation would spur efforts to convert Jordan into a Palestinian state. 2) American Jewish Community. Had Israel captured part of the West Bank, it would have split every Jewish temple and community in America. And 3) Joe Biden. If Biden succeeds Trump, he will not have to worry about the painful issue of possession. It has geopolitically major failures in Iran and its close ones. These are the Iraqi civilian army Hezbollah, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Yemeni and Turkey in Howti. Until now, the UAE had to strike a balance between Iran and Israel. But this deal is a direct answer to Iran: 'Israel is on our side, so don't get entangled with us.' But here is another message that the UAE is telling Iranians and its close ones that there are two alliances in the area today. The first is to bury the past for the future and the second is to bury the future for the past. The UAE has become the leader of the first and has left Iran to lead the second.
Opposition to sectarianism, corruption and diversity are deeply ingrained in the Middle East. But there are also young people who are tired of old sports, battles and old wounds. You can see them demanding good governance on the streets of Beirut, which has given them a chance to recognize their potential. The UAE, Israel and the United States have shown that the past does not necessarily always bury the future and haters, distributors always win. It is expected that this fresh air will one day become a strong wind and spread throughout the region. (These are the author's own views)