The release of Ranbir Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra and Ileana D-Cruise starrer Barfi has completed 8 years. Released on September 14, 2012, the film is considered one of the finest films directed by Anurag Basu.
Barfi not only got the love of the audience but it was also sent by India in 2013 for the Best Foreign Film category of the 85th Oscar Academy Awards. Although the film failed to get a nomination in this category, it did win 7 Filmfare Awards.
In Barfi, Ranbir played the character of a boy Barfi who cannot hear and speak. At the same time, Priyanka played the character of a girl suffering from dyslexia. Let's look at some special facts related to the film …
- Katrina Kaif was the first choice for Shruti Gupta, Ileana D-Cruise in the film. He had also agreed to the film but due to lack of dates, he had to leave the film. She was later replaced by Ileana, whose first Bollywood film. She was a well-known name in the Telugu film industry before Bollywood.
- This was the first film to be dubbed by Ileana herself. Earlier, someone else dubbed them.
- Ileana's look was inspired by the 70s look of director Anurag Basu's mother.
- Ranbir's character in the film was inspired by Charlie Chaplin and Mr. Bean. Anurag had only Ranbir's name in mind for Barfi's character.
- Anurag had also kept shooting for the film on the day of Holi, the day no star wanted to work. In such a situation, Anurag called the crew and Ranbir on the set with the greed of a bribe. He had said most of all that if he would come on the sets to shoot on Holi, he would give hemp treats to everyone. This happened when everyone came on the shoot and hemp was placed on the set in bottles.
- Despite being an offbeat film, the film proved to be a business worth 100 crores.