- Hindi news
- No fake news
- Fact Check: Modi Government Pledged 268 Tons Of Gold Abroad? RBI Has Already Declared This Claim Fake.
What's going viral: On social media Claim It is being done that the Modi government has mortgaged 268 tonnes of gold abroad. A news cutting along with the message is also going viral.
And what is the truth?
- By searching different keywords, we searched the news related to this claim on the Internet. We found a year old article by Delhi Congress leader Navneet Chaturvedi. In which he accused the Modi government of pledging 200 tonnes of gold in 2014. All these allegations have been made on the basis of information received from RTI.
- According to information provided by Ravi in his article Navneet, according to India, 268.01 tonnes of gold is in safe custody of 'Bank of England' and 'Bank of International Settlements'. It is worth noting that the pledge of gold was not written in the RTI reply.
- In the investigation, it was found that all the information is available on the official website of RBI, which Navneet presented as a hidden information. According to the report released in September 2018, India has 586.44 tonnes of gold, of which 294.14 tonnes of gold is kept in foreign banks. It is clear that this information has not been hidden.
- On May 3, 2019, RBI Chief General Manager Yogesh Dayal issued a statement saying that, it is a normal process to keep the country's gold safe in the central banks of other countries. Countries around the world do this. It is clear that the claim of pledging 268 tonnes of gold abroad by the Modi government is false.