Hear the news
- The mutual agreement was agreed to further the tenth round of corps commanders
The tenth round of talks between the core commanders of India and China was held in a positive atmosphere on Saturday, with an agenda to evacuate the other conflict areas after Pangong Lake in eastern Ladakh. In this marathon conversation at Moldo on the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC), both sides verified the entire process of emptying of Pangong Lake. After this, according to the agreed consent, the two commanders were put on a long roadmap to repel the army from the four stretched areas of Ladakh, Depsang, Gogra, Hot Spring and Demchak.
Till late evening, no formal statement was issued by the Army and the Foreign Ministry regarding this conversation. However, according to sources connected with the case, both sides agreed to vacate these areas on the lines of Pangong with mutual consent. According to sources, India and China issued a joint statement after the Commander-level talks of the seventh, eighth and ninth rounds. It is expected that in the next one or two days, a joint statement will be issued on this time of conversation. According to army sources, last Friday, the release of the names and videos of soldiers killed in the Galvan conflict from China was seen as its new maneuver. However, there is no negative signal in this conversation so far.
Depsang situation is quite complicated
According to sources, especially in these four areas, the situation of Depsang is quite complicated. So only after several rounds of negotiations on these, a concrete roadmap will be ready.
Nine months of military deadlock
It has been nine months since the military standoff between the two countries. After the agreement, both sides have withdrawn their troops from the northern and southern end areas of Pangong Lake and have also removed weapons, other military equipment, bunkers and other construction.
Sources said that the main point of discussion in the 10th round of talks is to pursue the withdrawal process from other areas as well. Both sides are in talks to discuss modalities for this. Defense Minister Rajnath Singh said in a statement in Parliament on February 11 that India and China had reached an agreement to remove troops from the Pangong Lake region in a phased manner.
He said that according to the agreement, China will withdraw its troops and move to the east side of Finger Eight area in the northern shore of Pangong Lake. He had said that India would keep its troops at its permanent camp Dhan Singh Thapa post near Finger III.
Singh had said that a similar step would be taken in the southern bank area of Pangong Lake. The defense minister said that it was agreed that the next meeting of senior commanders of both sides would be called to resolve all other issues within 48 hours of the completion of the withdrawal of troops in the Pangong Lake area.
The process of military withdrawal from the Pangong Lake area began on February 10, which was completed on Thursday. In the tenth round of talks between the two countries today, the Indian delegation is headed by Lt Gen PGK Menon who is the commander of the 14th Corps at Leh. At the same time, the Chinese side is headed by Major General Liu Lin, commander of the Chinese Army’s Southern Xinjiang Military District.
The military standoff between the two countries began after a violent clash in the Pangong Lake area on May 5 last year, and then in everyday developments, both sides deployed large numbers of troops and lethal weapons.
Nearly five months after the standoff, Indian troops took action and deployed several mountain peaks of strategic importance in the Mukherpari, Rechil La and Magar Hill areas in the southern end of Pangong Lake.
In the ninth round of military talks, India had specifically emphasized the withdrawal of Chinese troops from areas ranging from Finger 4 to Finger 8 in the northern region of Pangong Lake. At the same time, China insisted on the withdrawal of Indian troops from the peaks of strategic importance at the southern end of Pangong Lake.